Lavacol is a broad-spectrum contact laxative.
It is used in surgery to prepare the gastrointestinal tract for diagnosis and before surgery. It cleans the intestines well and promotes rapid weight loss. The component that is part of Lavacol is Macrogol.
The structure of the chemical structure includes ethylene oxide. The drug creates hydrogen bonds with water molecules. Such an interaction softens the fecal masses and facilitates the process of defecation.
The tool has a laxative effect on the body.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Lavacol? The average price in pharmacies is 190 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is produced in the form of a powder that has a white color or a whitish-yellow hue. Lavacol placed in foil bags. Each weighs 14 grams.
1 sachet bag contains:
- active ingredient: macrogol (polyethylene glycol MM 4000) - 12 g;
- auxiliary components: anhydrous sodium sulfate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride.
The box fits 15 packets of medication.
Lavacol is a powerful laxative drug, the combined composition of which is intended for complete removal of intestinal contents and restoration of water-electrolyte metabolism caused by frequent stools.
The laxative effect is provided by the active substance - macrogol. The mechanism of its action is due to the attraction and retention of water, as a result of which it swells and increases in size. This contributes to a significant increase in intestinal contents and stimulation of peristalsis, ensuring rapid movement of feces and their evacuation to the outside. The therapeutic effect occurs exclusively in the intestinal lumen, so the drug is not absorbed into the systemic circulation, it is excreted from the body unchanged. It should be noted that the drug does not cause dehydration, because macrogol uses a liquid to swell, which is received when it is taken, without absorbing water from the stomach and intestines. Therefore, to ensure the mechanism of action requires strict compliance with the recommendations on the use of Lavacol in terms of dissolving the powder in a certain amount of water.
When compared with other methods and means of forced cleansing of the intestine, Lavacol's advantage is the simultaneous osmotic laxative effect, which causes a complete cleansing of all intestinal sections of food and feces, and replenishment of fluid and salt loss caused by frequent stools.
Indications for use
In most cases, Lavacol is prescribed to patients before diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical manipulations on the large intestine.
Lavacol is contraindicated for use if a person has the following conditions or diseases:
- Impaired renal function;
- Severe dehydration in humans;
- Abdominal pain of obscure origin;
- Children's age is younger than 15 years;
- Intestinal obstruction (full or partial);
- Toxic expansion of the colon (megacolon);
- Stenosis of the stomach (narrowing of the lumen of the stomach);
- Perforation of the wall of the stomach or intestines;
- Malignant neoplasm of the colon;
- Severe general condition, for example, against the background of heart failure, etc .;
- Individual hypersensitivity or allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol (macrogol);
- Erosive and ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, peptic ulcer or duodenal ulcer in the acute stage).
Use during pregnancy and lactation
In appointing the drug Lavacol pregnant women should be careful due to the insufficient amount of data on the use of the drug in this category of patients.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated: ready-made solution Lavacol is taken orally, in small sips, on an empty stomach (no earlier than 2 hours after meals). Before taking the contents of 1 sachet should be dissolved in 200 ml of water.
- Constipation in adults: 200 ml of the solution once. Defecation usually occurs after 3-5 hours. In the absence of a laxative effect after 7 hours from the moment of taking the drug, an additional 200 ml of solution should be taken.
- Complete bowel cleansing: 200 ml of solution are taken at intervals of 20 minutes, the total volume is 3000 ml of solution. Approximately 2 hours after taking the first dose of the drug, the fecal mass is released. After each bowel movement you need to take the next 200 ml of solution. After taking the last single dose, bowel cleansing may continue for another 2-3 hours. To start using the solution should be on the eve of a diagnostic study or surgery in the period from 14 to 19 hours.
For complete bowel cleansing in preparation for diagnostic studies or surgery, the solution should be started 18-20 hours before the procedure begins. The dose of the drug is prescribed by the doctor taking into account the weight of the patient, usually 1 sachet per 4 kg.
Side effects are rare, but they are still present:
- heaviness in the stomach;
These symptoms go away on their own, but if they are disturbed often and constantly, you need to contact your doctor. They occur when the first use of Lavacol, when preparing for X-ray studies.
In case of overdose, severe diarrhea may occur. In this case, you must cancel the reception of funds, then after 1-2 days diarrhea disappears independently.
This drug is not intended for regular use as a laxative agent in patients with chronic constipation.
Patients with suspected oncological processes in the intestine are not recommended to use the drug prior to diagnosis.
This tool is not prescribed to persons under 12 years of age due to the lack of clinical experience in pediatric practice.
At the same time taking Lavacol with any other drugs slows down the process of their absorption.
With simultaneous treatment with other drugs, any medications must be taken no less than 2 hours before taking Lavacol.
We picked up some reviews of people taking Lavacol:
- Alexey. Used in preparation for the study. Everything went smoothly. Urging to the toilet began 2 hours after the start of the reception. The only thing the doctor said was that 15 bags (the contents of one pack) were small, I had to drink 20.
- Inna Also faced with the need to cleanse the intestines, but because I already have problems with the regularity of the chair, I didn’t want the tool to have a negative impact on the flora either. Well, in the light of the crisis, I wanted not expensive. I read the reviews for a long time, compared and stopped at Lavacole, he has in my opinion more advantages. I didn’t regret a bit that I chose him, he even seemed to me neutral in taste, and that he developed by the Institute of Coloproctology also inspires confidence, always cleansing goes smoothly and without unpleasant sensations. I noticed that I became sick less often, because the truth is that immunity from the intestines is coming.
- Valya Lavacol was prescribed by a doctor before a colonoscopy. To be honest, when the doctor prescribed, I thought that it was prohibitively expensive, but it turned out that it was not. She took 1 glass for 4 hours, eventually drank all 15 sachets. I liked that his taste is normal, not so nasty as in many foreign drugs, which also cost a second. Completely he gave me.
Analogues means "Lavacol" are drugs that have a similar effect on the human body.
- "Magnesium sulfate";
- "Forteza Rompharm".
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Lavacol or Fortrans - which is better?
Those who want to clean the intestines often wonder the choice of drug: domestic Lavacol or French Fortrans? Given the relatively equal effectiveness of the first and second, Lavacol in this duel confidently wins due to:
- Better palatability — Lavacol's lightly salty water is more pleasing to people than the sweet-soda taste of Fortrans; accordingly, it is much easier to drink three liters of the solution using the first drug.
- Lower cost - its price is three times lower than the price of Fortrans.
Both drugs belong to the category of osmotic drugs and under the condition of single use they practically do not disturb the balance of intestinal microflora. But in case of abuse of osmotic laxatives, it is possible to wash out beneficial microorganisms from the intestine.
Storage conditions and shelf life
A dry, well-ventilated place will be suitable for storing "Lavacola". At the same time air temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
Shelf life is 3 years.