Thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities is an inflammation of the vein with the formation of a blood clot that slows down the blood flow. The disease has very serious consequences, sometimes leading to death.
Thrombophlebitis sneaks up quietly and unnoticed, masquerading as minor problems with the legs (moderate pain, slight swelling, redness). In many cases, the onset of the disease remains without proper attention, it is a frivolous attitude to their own health that leads to sad results.
In this material we will tell about thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities (see photo), its first symptoms, as well as current treatment regimens.
Why does thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities occur, and what is it? One of the most common causes of thrombophlebitis is the effects of varicose veins (this is another clear evidence of the need for timely treatment of varicose veins).
In addition to varicose veins, a number of diseases can provoke thrombosis - this is the usual flu, tuberculosis, erysipelas, tonsillitis, pneumonia, caries, scarlet fever, diseases that cause a decrease in immunity and inflammatory processes of any localization. Also threatened by prolonged bed rest, and heart disease.
The likelihood of thrombophlebitis increases after surgery, trauma, pregnancy, childbirth. I would like to pay special attention to damage to the blood vessels caused by setting droppers - this is a significant risk factor.
There are three main factors that trigger the formation of a blood clot in a blood vessel:
- increased blood clotting;
- slow blood flow;
- the course of inflammatory processes in the vascular wall.
The presence of at least one of these factors seriously increases the risk of thrombophlebitis.
Symptoms of thrombophlebitis
The disease begins suddenly, against the background of well-being. The growth of symptoms of thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities occurs quickly:
- Constant pain of dull character with exertion on the leg.
- Swelling limbs.
- Redness of the skin in the formation of a blood clot.
- Increase in body temperature to 37.5 - 38 degrees.
- The areas of blood clot formation become visually noticeable - the skin changes its color (either it turns red or it turns brown depending on the location of the vessel under the skin or deep in the leg).
- It hurts to stand and walk.
The patient's condition at first is satisfactory. But as the inflammation spreads, the symptoms of thrombophlebitis increase: the process moves to the subcutaneous tissue, the skin turns red, thickens, and is soldered to the inflamed vessels. Her temperature rises.
A further increase in the inflammatory process leads to the appearance of headaches, chills, sweating, and an increase in body temperature above +39 ° C. The area of the inflamed vein becomes hot, sharply painful, the lymph nodes in the groin grow so large that they cause pain when walking. If you do not turn to a doctor at this stage of the disease, then a further deterioration of the patient’s condition is possible, including death.
Thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities: photo
As the thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities looks like, we offer for viewing detailed photos of clinical manifestations.
How is the diagnosis?
Diagnosis of lower extremity thrombophlebitis is performed by instrumental minimally invasive or non-invasive method, among which the leading position is taken by ultrasound study, and specifically - duplex angioscanning of the lower extremities with color mapping of the blood flow.
The use of this method allows you to see a clear picture of the state of the venous lumen, to see a blood clot in the veins of the lower extremities (if any), its location, and you can clearly see the direction of blood flow and its speed.
Treatment of thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities
If symptoms of thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities are detected, it is important to prevent the spread of the disease to the deep-seated veins, in order to rule out thromboembolism of the LA, to reduce the inflammatory manifestations and to prevent relapse.
With the existing pathology of the dilated veins without affecting the deep-seated, treatment can even be carried out on an outpatient basis. But if there is a threat of pulmonary embolism formation and an expressed inflammation process, the treatment must be carried out in a hospital under the supervision of specialists.
The main treatment is aimed at eliminating the local and inflammatory thrombotic processes. In the first days, when the treatment of thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities is carried out and inflammation is most pronounced, it is desirable to form a bandage with the help of elastic bandages. As the manifestations subside, you can go to medical knitwear - tights, stockings or socks of the 2-3rd compression class.
Also, the treatment regimen includes taking certain drugs:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - in the form of Diclofenac, Ketoprofen, etc.
- Venotonic drugs - Troxerutin, Detraralix, etc.
- Drugs that reduce thrombosis - Aspirin, Plavix, Trentala, etc.
- The purpose of systemic enzyme therapy is Wobenzym or Flogenzyme.
- Spasmolitis in the form of No-shpy, Papaverina, etc.
- Desensitizing drugs - Tavegila, Suprastin and others.
- Hirudotherapy, which reduces viscosity and blood clotting.
- Anticoagulants that block thrombosis.
- Antibiotics, with purulent processes.
The most important thing to know about the treatment of thrombophlebitis is not to try to recover or somehow improve your condition on your own at home. Only a specialist is able to conduct a full-fledged diagnosis and, on its basis, to select drugs, procedures or designate an operation.
Therapeutic exercises conducted at home from simple exercises will help reduce the risk of further development of the disease:
- Simple exercise "bike". Lying on your back, rotate your legs for 5-6 minutes.
- Standing on the floor perform side swing legs 6-10 times with each foot.
- Lying on your back, raise your legs vertically for 1 minute to hold the position, gently lower.
- To carry out raising of legs in the bent and straightened positions 5-6 times.
- Do alternate attacks with feet forward and sideways 5 times.
Thrombophlebitis prevention and prevention of complications can be addressed by following the advice of traditional medicine.
- Good results in the treatment of thrombophlebitis gives tincture of Adam's root or tamus ordinary. Adam's root - 10 g. Kipyatok - 50 gr. Insist for half an hour, strain, take 1 tablespoon three times a day for 15 minutes. before meals. Adam's root in combination with Japanese Sophora and chestnut gives the best results.
- Tincture of bee Podmor. The life of bees is short. And by the spring old individuals who have worked summer die off. Young bees put them on the flight board. This is called a sublime. They should be collected and poured with vodka (a handful of porem for 0.5 l of vodka). Insist two weeks, strain. Use as a compress, which is superimposed on the sore spot for 1.5-2 hours.
- Folk remedy for thrombophlebitis: 1 glass of onion juice, 1 glass of honey mix and keep the mixture for 3 days at room temperature, and then put in the refrigerator for 10 days. Drink this tool for 1 tbsp. spoon 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals. This recipe really helped, after 2 months the patient could not only walk freely, but also run. Since then, her thrombosis no longer bothered, although now she is 61 years old. The composition is still taking for prevention - 1 time in 3 years.
- An infusion of lemon and garlic can dissolve blood clots in the veins, as well as clear blood vessels from cholesterol, this infusion heals joints and intestines, improves immunity. To prepare it, you need to take 4 large heads of garlic, 4 large lemons and 3 liters of water. Mince garlic and lemons, put the resulting gruel in a three-liter jar and pour cool boiled water to the top. Insist in a dark place for 5 days, daily shaking. Strain should get about 2.5 liters of infusion. Take in the morning on an empty stomach. 30 minutes before taking the infusion, drink 1 cup of hot water. Then after half an hour drink 50-100 g of infusion. This is a very useful tool, it can be drunk a whole year without rest, with great benefit to the body.
- Essential oils from St. John's wort flowers, sandalwood, rosemary, and mountain arnica are used as drugs for treating thrombophlebitis. Their use is advisable in the early stages of the disease. To enhance the effect of any oil mixed with 0.5 tsp. apple cider vinegar. The mixture is ground by massage movements in the area of the venous seals.
- Honey compress. To do this, honey in its pure form is applied to a linen cloth, and applied to the area with the affected vein. For a compress, honey can be mixed with crushed kalanchoe leaf, or applied to a cabbage leaf. These two plants only increase the power of honey.
Self-treatment of acute venous thrombosis of the lower extremities with folk remedies is unacceptable without going to a doctor, such treatment can lead to disability of the patient and even death.
If the patient has already suffered thrombophlebitis, then the doctor’s task is to prevent his relapse. In addition to elastic compression and phleboprotectors, it is advisable to include physiotherapeutic measures in the treatment complex - alternating magnetic fields, sinusoidal modulated currents.
The basic principle of the prevention of thrombophlebitis is the timely and adequate treatment of chronic venous diseases. This includes primarily the surgical treatment of early (uncomplicated) stages of varicose veins.