For a modern person, busy with a thousand cases at the same time, heaviness in the stomach after eating when the stomach is inflated is not uncommon. Many factors can cause this unpleasant phenomenon. Under their influence, a situation arises that the stomach cannot cope with.
That is, the body does not have time to process all the incoming food with enzymes, it accumulates and inhibits its passage into the intestine. Hence, there is a feeling of overcrowding and heaviness in the stomach after eating. In medicine, these symptoms are called dyspepsia.
Causes of heaviness in the abdomen after eating
Bloating in the stomach, gas, heaviness in the abdomen - from time to time many people face these unpleasant symptoms. Someone has such symptoms very rarely, and someone lives with them almost all his life. However, doctors - gastroenterologists do not recommend to leave such phenomena without attention, because sometimes this may indicate a more serious disorder in the body.
Consider the most popular causes of heaviness in the stomach after eating, when the stomach is full and inflated:
- Overeating - an excess of food is harmful to the stomach, as it is not fraught with constipation and digestive disorders, including weight. After a lot of overeating, it can be hard to breathe.
- Aerophagia - a condition resulting from the fact that a person during the meal swallows too much air.
- Alcohol, smoking, lemonades, strong tea, coffee, kvass - all this irritates the gastric mucosa, which leads to severity and discomfort.
- Chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, gastritis, cholecystitis, can provoke discomfort after eating.
- Unconventional food. When food contains insufficient amounts of important vitamins and trace elements - this leads to problems of the gastric mucosa. This also contributes to the irregularity of meals, fast food, food on the go, the lack of liquid and hot food in the diet.
- Incompatibility of food, abuse of fatty, spicy, fried foods.
- Experiences and stress - all this harms our digestion. Eating under stress does not allow food to be fully digested. In this case, heaviness in the stomach can occur along with severe discomfort.
- Often the severity appears in pregnant women, especially when a large amount of plant food is included in the menu.
- Some people have a feeling of heaviness in the stomach in the morning - this indicates a too late dinner. The stomach simply does not have time to cope with the food eaten before sleep, and in a dream the processes of digestion and peristalsis slow down. As a result, a person wakes up broken, with a headache and heaviness in the stomach.
- Certain foods, dairy, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs, beans, melons, corn.
- Disruption of the digestive process - dyspepsia, occurs almost every second inhabitant of the planet. Here, bloating, belching, fermentation of gases and even nausea are added to the severity. Dyspepsia very often appears after experiencing stress or in a state of depression.
- Medication. Acceptance of some medications causes a side effect - heaviness in the stomach area.
- The cause of the unpleasant manifestation may be an infectious disease.
- Intestinal dysbiosis.
- Parasitic invasions.
If the severity after eating becomes a permanent phenomenon, it may be symptoms of gastritis or cholecystitis. In this case, the feeling of heaviness is accompanied by nausea, bloating, heartburn. Alarming signals should also be a decrease in appetite, excessive gas formation, attacks of pain. They talk about dyspepsia or digestive disorders.
Since the symptom of severity in the abdomen occurs in a variety of diseases, patients who have it should definitely be examined. Therefore, it is better to seem a good specialist. He detailed questioning, medical examination, analysis of medical records will be able to determine what kind of examination should be performed for a particular patient.
Depending on the availability of evidence, a patient may be prescribed:
- Fibroesophagogastroduodenoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the digestive organs that has been most frequently performed recently.
- Gastrochrome gastroscopy - a technique that allows for the analysis of specifying the level of acid-forming activity of gastric secretions.
- Morphological study - testing takes place using a microscope.
- Cholecystography - X-ray examination of the gallbladder using a contrast agent.
- Hepatocholecystography is a radioisotope study that allows to qualitatively evaluate and record all stages of the passage of bile.
- Coprogram - a lightweight method for assessing the functioning of the digestive tract.
- Irrigoscopy - X-ray examination of the colon.
- Computed tomography and / or magnetic resonance imaging.
- Enteroscopy - assessment of the condition of the mucous membrane by the method of endoscopic examination.
- X-ray of the stomach - an x-ray study conducted using a contrast agent (barium).
- Ultrasonography, conducted with loads. Evaluates the contractile activity of the muscle tissue of the gallbladder, sphincters.
- Duodenal intubation - analysis of the state of various samples of bile, makes it possible to evaluate the work of individual sections of the gallbladder.
- Fermentation blood test for pancreatic enzymes.
- Plasma test for pepsinogen and gastrin.
- Bacoseum feces, giving an assessment of the balance of intestinal flora. Failures in the equilibrium combination lead to intestinal dysbiosis.
- An intragastric pH-metry is carried out according to Linar.
- Endovideocapsule - a small special device equipped with a mini-video camera is inserted into the patient through the esophagus, which, as it advances, takes the picture, passing the entire digestive tract.
- Fibroilecolonoscopy - endoscopic examination of the lower region of the small and the entire large intestine.
- Immunological and molecular tests that make it possible to recognize the presence of invasive parasites in the human body.
Diseases of the digestive system only at first glance seem mundane and familiar. Sick people believe that gastritis is not worth much attention, and the severity and nausea are easily eliminated. However, one should not forget that all the preparations that eliminate the discomfort belong to the category of quick help, and are not able to solve the problem by themselves. Sometimes it takes long-term treatment and control of several specialists in order to return the work of the stomach back to normal.
How to get rid of stomach heaviness after eating
The choice of how to deal with the heaviness in the stomach after eating depends on what caused this symptom. This will require a comprehensive survey. As for the general recommendations, a well-established nutrition system and a well-thought-out diet, reducing portions and preference for easily digestible foods, regular meals will help reduce or get rid of heaviness and bloating in the stomach.
At home, try to follow these simple rules:
- You need to train yourself to start every morning with a glass of clean water at room temperature. Such an action will help "start" the gastrointestinal tract, preparing it for decent work. In this case, it is necessary to abandon the use of any liquid during the meal and for about an hour after it, in order not to burden the stomach, not to dilute the saliva and gastric juice.
- Chew food slowly and thoroughly. One of the reasons for aerophagia is that a person is eating too fast, and therefore swallows a lot of air with food. If you constantly eat in a hurry, on the go, not having time to chew food normally, this can lead not only to aerophagy, but also to a number of other problems with the digestive system.
- You should eat often (every 3-4 hours) and in small portions. People suffering from stomach weights after eating, overeating and prolonged fasting are contraindicated.
- We must try to eliminate stress, traumatic situations whenever possible. Do not sit there if you are in a nervous state. It is better to first drink a soothing decoction or herbal medicine. It does not work as an irritant and will prepare the stomach for food intake.
- It is advisable to take food at about the same time: such habits develop the need for the stomach to work intensively at certain hours. This greatly facilitates and simplifies the digestion of food in the stomach. Dinner should be no later than two hours before bedtime.
- With epigastric severity, it is desirable that all food be warm, while avoiding critical temperatures — too hot or too cold.
- It is important to abandon the use of large amounts of alcohol and other products, liquids that adversely affect the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract.
- From the diet should be excluded from the use of products containing synthetic dyes, preservatives and stabilizers.
- If there are problems with excess weight, you should bring your body into shape. Unnecessary kilograms have a negative effect on the entire body.
By following these tips, you will learn to eat right and gradually get rid of problems with the digestive system. Also for the treatment of heaviness in the stomach are used simple folk remedies and massage. For example, it helps to cope with dyspepsia or other stomach problems infusion of yarrow or chamomile, which take 1/2 cup 30 minutes before a meal. Moderate exercise and dancing have a positive effect on the body as a whole, and especially on the gastrointestinal tract.
Periodically, from the severity of the stomach, you can use drugs such as Mezim, Festal, Panzinorm. But do not get carried away, as the stomach can get used to the enzymes coming from outside and stop producing their own.
All diseases associated with the violation of the digestive system, require careful examination. We should not forget that drugs can relieve discomfort, while they do not eliminate the cause of the disease. To restore the work of the stomach, sometimes it may take long-term treatment under the control of a gastroenterologist.