Tonsillitis is an infectious-allergic disease in which the inflammatory process is localized in the tonsils. Also involved are nearby lymphoid tissue of the pharynx - laryngeal, nasopharyngeal and lingual tonsils.
Chronic tonsillitis is a fairly common disease, with which, perhaps, the fact that many people simply do not consider it a serious illness and is easily ignored. This tactic is very dangerous, because a permanent source of infection in the body will periodically take the form of acute angina, reduce performance, worsen overall health.
Since this disease can trigger the development of dangerous complications, everyone should know the symptoms of chronic tonsillitis, as well as the basics of treatment in adults (see photo).
What it is? Tonsillitis in adults and children occurs when the tonsils are infected. The most common "blame" in the appearance of the disease bacteria: streptococci, staphylococci, enterococci, pneumococci.
But some viruses can also cause inflammation of the glands, for example, adenoviruses, herpes virus. Sometimes the cause of the development of inflammation of the tonsils are mushrooms or chlamydia.
A number of factors can contribute to the development of chronic tonsillitis:
- frequent tonsillitis (acute inflammation of the tonsils);
- dysfunction of nasal breathing as a result of the curvature of the nasal septum, the formation of polyps in the nasal cavity, with hypertrophy of adenoid vegetations and other diseases;
- the appearance of foci of infection in the nearest organs (caries, purulent sinusitis, adenoiditis, etc.);
- reduced immunity;
- frequent allergic reactions, which can be both a cause and a consequence of the disease, etc.
Most often chronic tonsillitis begins after a sore throat. At the same time, acute inflammation in the tissues of the tonsils does not undergo a complete reverse development, the inflammatory process continues and becomes chronic.
There are two most basic forms of tonsillitis:
- Compensated form - when there are only local signs of inflammation of the tonsils.
- Decompensated form - when there are both local and general signs of chronic inflammation of the tonsils: abscesses, peritonsillitis.
Chronic compensated tonsillitis manifests itself in the form of frequent colds and, in particular, with angina. In order for this form not to become decompensated, it is necessary to extinguish the center of infection in a timely manner, that is, not to allow a cold for free, but to engage in complex treatment.
Signs in adults
The main signs of chronic tonsillitis in adults include:
- persistent sore throat (moderate to very severe);
- pain in the glands;
- swelling in the nasopharynx;
- traffic jams in the throat;
- inflammatory reactions in the throat on food and cold liquid;
- body temperature does not decrease for a long time;
- smell from the mouth;
- weakness and fatigue.
Also a sign of disease can be the appearance of pulling pains and aches in the knee and wrist, in some cases, shortness of breath.
Symptoms of chronic tonsillitis
A simple form of chronic tonsillitis is characterized by the meager presence of symptoms. An adult is worried about the feeling of a foreign body or awkwardness when swallowing, tingling, dryness, bad breath, the temperature may rise to subfebrile numbers. Tonsils inflamed and enlarged. Outside exacerbation, there are no common symptoms.
Characterized by frequent sore throats (up to 3 times a year) with a prolonged recovery period, which is accompanied by fatigue, malaise, general weakness and a slight increase in temperature.
In the toxic-allergic form of chronic tonsillitis, tonsillitis develops more often 3 times a year, often complicated by inflammation of neighboring organs and tissues (paratonsillar abscess, pharyngitis, etc.). The patient constantly feels weakness, fatigue and malaise. Body temperature for a long time remains subfebrile. Symptoms from other organs depend on the presence of certain associated diseases.
With a long course and the absence of a specific treatment of chronic tonsillitis, effects occur in the body of an adult. The loss of the ability of the tonsils to resist infection leads to the formation of paratonsillar abscesses and infection in the respiratory tract, which causes the development of pharyngitis and bronchitis.
Chronic tonsillitis plays an important role in the occurrence of such collagen diseases as rheumatism, periarthritis nodosa, polyarthritis, dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, hemorrhagic vasculitis. Also, persistent sore throats lead to heart diseases such as endocarditis, myocarditis, and acquired heart defects.
The human urinary system is most susceptible to complications in infectious diseases, so pyelonephritis is a serious consequence of chronic tonsillitis. In addition, cholecystitis and polyarthritis are formed, the locomotor system is disturbed. In chronic foci of infections, glomerulonephritis, small chorea, paratonsillar abscess, septic endocarditis and sepsis develop.
Exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis
The lack of preventive measures and timely treatment for chronic tonsillitis leads to various exacerbations of the disease in adults. The most common exacerbations of tonsillitis are sore throat (acute tonsillitis) and peritonsillar (okolomindalikovy) abscess.
Angina is characterized by fever (38–40 ° C and higher), severe or moderate sore throat, headaches, and general weakness. Often there is an ache and severe pain in the joints and lower back. Most types of sore throat are characterized by enlarged lymph nodes located under the lower jaw. Lymph nodes are painful on palpation. The disease is often accompanied by chills and fever.
With proper treatment, the acute period lasts from two to seven days. Full rehabilitation requires a long time and constant medical supervision.
To prevent this disease, it is necessary to ensure that nasal breathing is always normal, to treat all infectious diseases in a timely manner. After a sore throat, prophylactic lacunae washing and lubrication of the tonsils should be carried out with preparations recommended by the doctor. In this case, you can use 1% iodine-glycerin, 0.16% Gramicidin-Glycerin, etc.
It is also important regular hardening in general, as well as hardening of the pharyngeal mucosa. For this, morning and evening rinses of the pharynx are shown with water that is at room temperature. The diet should contain foods and foods high in vitamins.
Treatment of chronic tonsillitis
Today in medical practice there are not too many methods for the treatment of chronic tonsillitis in adults. Used drug therapy, surgical treatment and physiotherapy. As a rule, methods are combined in different versions or alternately alternate.
In chronic tonsillitis treatment is applied topically, regardless of the phase of the process, it includes the following components:
- Washing the lacunae of the tonsils to remove purulent contents, and rinsing the pharynx and oral cavity with copper-silver or saline solutions with the addition of antiseptics (miramistin, chlorhexidine, furatsilin). The course of treatment is at least 10-15 sessions.
- Probiotics: Hilak forte, Linex, Bifidumbacterin to prevent dysbiosis, which can develop while taking antibiotics.
- Medicines that have a mitigating effect and eliminate symptoms such as dryness, sore throat, sore throat. The most effective tool is a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, which needs to gargle 1-2 times a day. In addition, the drug can be used on the basis of propolis in the form of a spray (Proposol).
- In order to correct the general immunity, Irs-19, Bronhomunal, Ribomunyl may be used by prescription of an immunologist.
- Physical therapy (UHF, tubos);
- Sanitation of the mouth, nose and paranasal sinuses.
To increase the body's defenses, vitamins, aloe, vitreous, FIBS are used. To cure chronic tonsillitis once and for all, you should follow an integrated approach and listen to the recommendations of the doctor.
Physiotherapy procedures are always prescribed on the background of conservative treatment and a few days after surgery. A few decades ago, these methods focused on: they tried to treat chronic tonsillitis with ultrasound or ultraviolet radiation.
Physical therapy does show good results, but it cannot be a basic treatment. As an adjunct therapy, its effect is indisputable; therefore, physiotherapeutic methods of treatment for chronic tonsillitis are used throughout the world, and they are actively used.
Three methods are considered to be the most effective: ultrasound, UHF and ultraviolet irradiation. They are mostly used. These procedures are prescribed almost always in the postoperative period, when the patient is already discharged from the hospital home and transferred to outpatient treatment.
Removal of tonsils in chronic tonsillitis: reviews
Sometimes doctors perform surgery and remove diseased tonsils, a procedure called tonsillectomy. But such a procedure requires evidence. Thus, the removal of the tonsils is carried out in cases of recurrent paratonsillar abscess and in some associated diseases. However, curing chronic tonsillitis medication is not always possible, in such cases it is worth thinking about the operation.
Within 10-15 minutes under local anesthesia, the tonsils are removed with a special loop. After the operation, the patient must observe bed rest for several days, take only cold liquid or pasty non-irritating food. After 1-2 weeks, the postoperative wound heals.
We picked up some reviews on the removal of tonsils in chronic tonsillitis that users left on the Internet.
- I removed the tonsils 3 years ago not a bit sorry! Throat can be sore (pharyngitis), but very rarely and not at all as before! Bronchitis often goes as a complication of a cold (But this is not at all compared to what torment the tonsils brought me! Angina was once a month, eternal pain, pus in the throat, fever, tears! There were complications in the heart and kidneys. If you are not so neglected, then it may make no sense, just walk a couple of times a year for washing to Laura and that's it ...
- Delete and do not think. In childhood, she was sick every month, with a high fever, heart problems started, her immunity weakened. Removed after 4 years. She stopped hurting, sometimes only without fever, but her heart was weak. The girl, who also constantly had sore throats and who never had an operation, started rheumatism. Now she is 23, moves with crutches. My grandfather deleted in 45 years, harder than in childhood, but inflamed tonsils give severe complications, so find a good doctor and delete.
- I did the operation in December and have never regretted it. I have forgotten what constant temperature is, constant throat congestion and much more. Of course it is necessary to fight for the tonsils to the last, but if they have already become a source of infection, then we must part with them unequivocally.
- I was removed at the age of 16 years. Under local anesthesia, they still tied to a chair in the old-fashioned way, covered their eyes so that they did not see anything and cut off. The pain is terrible. Her throat and then hurt wildly, she could not speak, she couldn’t have it either, and the bleeding was also opening. Now probably not so painfully and more professionally done. But I forgot about the sore throat, only recently started to hurt a little. But this is my own fault. We must look after ourselves.
- I had my tonsils excised at the age of 35, after years of endless painful sore throats, rinses and antibiotics. Reached the point, she asked for an operation otolaryngologist. It was sick, but not for long and - voila! No sore throat, no sore throat, only in the first year after the operation try not to drink cold and drink immunostimulants. I'm happy.
People are usually worried that removing the tonsils can weaken the immune system. After all, the amygdala is one of the main protective gates when entering the body. These fears are justified and justified. However, it should be understood that in a state of chronic inflammation of the tonsils are not able to perform their work and become only a focus with an infection in the body.
How to treat chronic tonsillitis at home
When treating tonsillitis at home, it is important to be the very first to raise the immunity. The sooner the infection will not be possible, where to develop, the faster you can bring your health back to normal.
How and what to treat ailment at home? Consider common recipes:
- In chronic inflammation of the tonsils, take fresh leaves of a mother and stepmother, wash, chop, squeeze the juice three times, add equal amounts of onion juice and red wine (or diluted brandy: 1 tablespoon per 0.5-1 glass of water). Mixture in the refrigerator, shake before use. Take 3 times a day and 1 tablespoon, diluted with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Two large cloves of garlic, not yet sprouted, crushed, boil a glass of milk and pour garlic gruel over it. After the infusion has been standing for a while, it must be drained and gargled with the resulting warm solution.
- Propolis tincture on alcohol. Prepared as follows: 20 grams of the product grind and pour 100 ml of pure medical alcohol. It is necessary to insist the medicine in a dark place. Take three times a day, 20 drops. Tincture can be mixed with warm milk or water.
- All you need is 10 sea buckthorn fruits every day. They will need to be taken 3-4 times each time before thoroughly rinsing the throat. Slowly chew and eat the fruit - and tonsillitis will begin to pass. It should be treated for 3 months, and the method can be used by both children and adults.
- Cut 250 g of beets, add 1 tbsp. vinegar, dates brew about 1-2 days. Sludge can remove. The resulting tincture gargle the mouth and throat. One or two tbsp. recommend a drink.
- Yarrow It is necessary to brew 2 tablespoons of herbal raw materials in a glass of boiling water. Cover and leave to infuse for an hour. After filtering. Infusion is used when treating folk remedies for chronic tonsillitis during the period of its exacerbation. Gargle 4-6 times a day.
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with one tablespoon of sugar and take three times a day. This tool will help improve health and also helps get rid of tonsillitis. In addition, for gargling with tonsillitis it is recommended to use cranberry juice with honey, warm carrot juice, 7–9-day infusion of kombucha, decoction of hypericum.
How should chronic tonsillitis be treated? Strengthen immunity, eat right, drink plenty of water, rinse and lubricate the throat, if the condition allows, do not rush with antibiotics and, especially, do not rush to cut the tonsils. They may well still be useful to you.